Friday, September 7, 2012

Higher Education, Birddog Style

     Sometimes in life we've got to make decisions based on faith, others on knowledge, and sometimes we just jump into things with our fingers crossed; better to be lucky, than good. My dog training decisions of 2012 have been a mix of all of the above. Sure I've taken the advice of a lot of trainers with proven track records, but that still requires a bit of faith, doesn't it? Some of my training has been based on what I've done in the past, and the results I've gotten. A bunch of my training this year has been a distorted mix of thought and ideas, which seemed like they might do the trick.  Now however, the time has become to put them all up for judgement, and see where I am really at. With not much time left before the start of the shooting season I felt the need to get Ginger evaluated, and if need so help from a pro trainer. So off we went to spend some time with Pat Perry, of Hedgerow Kennels, in central Massachusetts.

     Without too many words, and the typos that come with them I can tell you this; it went great. Ginger performed excellently, and I was able to see the mix and match training system I put together function as I had hoped in (almost) every way I had hoped. Prior to today Ginger had not been worked on any live birds. She'd retrieved grouse, woodcock, and a hare I the yard at camp last year, but had yet to have the whole flush, shot, retrieve sequence play out in front of her, because of her.

     Our moments of truth, and Ginger's higher education started quite simply. Pat wanted to see her run a bit, and how she handles. So we took a quick walk across a small field with some cover and allowed her to stretch her legs a bit. We then moved on to some retrieves, freshly shot pigeons being tossed into cover. As I expected, Ginger picked up the birds, and delivered to hand.

     Next we grabbed a gun, and moved into an area with a couple of planted pigeons. This would be the real moment of truth for us. Ginger has had very little contact with game, and all of her steadiness training so far had been done with hand thrown dummies. I want a broke dog, so this was what it all boiled down to for me. As we made our way through the cover, Ginger quartering nicely, the first pigeon decided to make its appearance early, flushing wild to our right. I couldn't have been happier as Ginger turned, dropped into a half hupped position, and watched the bird fly off. A quick reminder was all it took to get her butt on the ground, before I turned and shot the bird as it tried to escape into the trees. So close two the trees it was, that I thought I'd missed the bird, but Pat insisted he'd heard it hit the ground, so Ginger was sent for the mark. This mark would be Gingers only mishandle. As Pat and I moved forward to see her work, Ginger scooped the bird, and for whatever reason decided to deliver it to the pick up truck parked just around the bend. She then came back to us, and at my encouraging searched the area for the already picked bird. After five minutes we decided to give up, not wanting to sap all of her energy in the heat. When we emerged on the road we discovered the bird laying in front of the truck. With a quick wave Ginger ran to it, and then delivered it straight to me. She'd gotten one over on us. I'd be quick to get her back.

     A few minutes later we were working again, and soon Ginger had a nose full of scent. She produced a second pigeon, right off her nose, and planted herself like she'd been taught. This time however, my shooting failed me, both barrels missing. The pigeon, like pigeons do, rolled, made a swooping arch, and came across again. I had time to drop a fresh shell in the bottom barrel before turning and dropping the bird behind us, at about 40 yards on the edge of the tree line. When Pat and I turned or attention again to Ginger she was sitting contently in the exact place she flushed the bird. As the bird was shot behind us we elected to heel Ginger about halfway to the mark, rather than sending her on a long mark. I rather liked the idea of turning the marked retrieve into a memory retrieve, and Ginger didn't seem to mind either, readily picking the the bird and delivering it to hand.

     We concluded the evaluation with a couple of water marks at the pond near his house, before engaging in a conversation about dog training, training expectations, and field trialing. Probably one of the most gratifying parts of the exercise was when Pat asked me what I wanted him to do. I'd taken his question seriously, and not knowing how to answer, I asked him in return what he thought should be done. His question was rhetorical, and he went on to explain that in his opinion there was nothing more to be done other than shoot birds over Ginger to cement in the lessons she'd already received. So that's my plan for the next month; get Ginger as much positive contact as possible with pen raised birds. I'll no doubt experience an episode of breaking, and as backwards as it sound, I need this to happen to reinforce her steadiness. I don't think it'll take too much to drive the steadiness lesson home, however.

     Pat gave me a run down on the politics of field trialing, and encouraged me to give it a try. I had been planning to do some hunt testing with Ginger, but now have to consider going the competitive route. Either way, the training needed has been completed, and whether I decide to hunt test, trial, or just plain have a fine hunting companion, the work I need to do is all the same. And I look forward to doing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment