Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Lessons From The Show.

     The Worcester Sportsmans show has come and gone once again, like it does every February. I must say, I was surprised and dissapointed with this year's show. For whatever reason the show was significantly smaller. By my estimation the show decreased in size by more than 50%. In fact, I'm not so sure it's worth the $10 anymore. Hopefully next year it can get back on track. If not I'll be looking for another show to attend. I did come away from the show with a couple of things of interest, which as interested, responsible sportsmen, I will share.

     There is a move afoot here in massachusetts to get the striped bass reclassified as a game fish. This effort, and the bill, H792, A bill to designate wild striped bass as a game fish in the waters of Massachusetts, is being headed by the organization Stripers Forever. This bill would put a stop to the commercial fishing of striped bass in Massachusetts, and hopefully lead to an increase in the population which has plummeted. The SF website provides plenty of information, as well as a petition caring sportsmen can sign. As a sampling of the information which can be found I'll provide you with this; In 2008 there were 4241 commercial permit holders who took a combined total of 1,155,150lbs of striper. If you wish to do more, SF is having a hearing on the bill at the state house on February 28th. Please consider supporting SF.

     Another interesting bit of information came from the booth of Mass Dept of Agriculture Resources. By now I'm sure we've all seen the signs and posters warning us to not move firewood.

     Well maybe it's just me, but I never really stopped to think about it too much. But there is indeed a problem with the Asian Longhorned Beetle. This beetle is an invasive species that spreads easily, and is killing our hardwoods. MDAR has lots of info concerning this beetle on their website, and has a team that can visit your property if you think you might have an infestation. It's time we all paid a little closer attention when we're in the outdoors, and try to take a little better care of what we have been provided.


No comments:

Post a Comment